Home Safety Checklist for seniors
- Do all stairwells have securely-fixed handrails on both sides?
- Do the handrails extend beyond the length of the steps?
- Does your hand easily wrap completely around the rail?
- Are there lights & light switches at both the top and bottom of the stairs?
- Can you clearly see the outline of each step as you ascend & descend the stairs?
- Do the stairs have even surfaces? (I.e. no metal strips or rubber mats to trip on; in good repair?)
- Are stairs clutter free?
- Are all carpets and runners well-fastened down? Does the carpet lay flat?
- Is furniture positioned to allow full access to doorways with assistive devices?
- Are walkways clear of tripping hazards: cords, toys, low furniture, etc?
- Is there a nightlight lighting the path to the bathroom?
- Do rugs stay put (don’t slide or roll) when you push them with your foot?
- Does your chair have armrests that are long enough to help you get up or down?
- Can you turn on a light without having to walk into a dark room?
- Are lamps, extension cords, & phone cords out of the flow of foot traffic?
- Has clutter been eliminated?
- Are curtains and furniture at least 12 inches away from portable heaters?
- Do you have easy access to a telephone?
- Do you use non-skid wax or no wax at all, on polished floors?
- Are rugs non-skid?
- Can you reach the most-often used items without a step-stool?
- Is there adequate lighting?
- Are your stove/oven controls easy to use?
- Are curtains and towels away from burners?
- Is there a nightlight, lamp, or flashlight in reach of your bed?
- Is there a working smoke detector?
- Is there a phone within reach of the bed?
- Is the bed height appropriate (too high or low)?
- Can you easily access needed dresser drawers?
- Does the tub/shower have rubber non-skid mats or strips?
- Do you have grab bars (NOT TOWEL BARS) at the shower, tub, and toilet?
- Do you need a bath seat/bench?
- Is the flooring safe? (loose rugs, carpet or tiles?)
- Do the rugs have a non-skid backing?
- Do you have a hot-water temperature regulator to prevent burns?
- Can you get on and off the toilet easily?
- Do you need a hand-held shower sprayer?
- Do you need a shower curtain to replace sliding shower doors?
- Do all home entrances have outdoor lights?
- Are walkways to the doors clear of debris, plants, cracks, and holes?
- Are door sills (thresholds) low?
- Do outdoor steps have handrails?
- Is a ramp needed?
- Do the outdoor steps have a non-skid surface?
- Are the outdoor stairs in good repair? (I.e. free from cracks, dips, holes)
- Do you have an emergency exit plan (i.e. Fire)?
- Are emergency telephone numbers listed near the phone?
- Do you have lifeline?
- Do you have a system to manage medication?